Week 2
I was sick, quite sick, since last Thursday. Over last weekend, I had a fever and an impenetrably stuffed nose. Monday, the 27th, I showered in the morning and thought I'd give work a shot. That was a big mistake. I saw 4 patients from 8:30am-11am, and couldn't handle being upright any longer, so I was sent home, without even having to write SOAPs (I gave my handwritten notes to Caroline, wrote them for me!).
Tuesday, my supervisors were so thoughtful - I walked in, and just after I said 'Hi' they both said they decided that it would be another halfday for me, so I can get more rest. So I saw about 5 people, wrote my SOAPs, and went home!
The rest of the week, I've been seeing the same people on rehab doing language and/or cognitive tx, and "checking up" on the people on the neurosurgery floor, just asking some cognitive questions to make sure they are not getting worse than before, and to maybe do some cognitive tx. I was taught how to do tx with a pack of cards. :-) Yup, regular deck of 52 cards. Ask if you wanna know.
I've started observing them seeing pts at bedside after i finish seeing my patients in the morning. I've also observed them doing video swallow studies on adults finally. They do them together if they can. They let me feed twice! hehe. It was weird that of the 6 people I've watched, there were no aspirators! Next week, I'll start doing oral mech exams. I was supposed to start this week, but there's that setback of getting sick. Plus, they've been really busy lately with paperwork, something about updating policies, so it shouldn't take too much longer. Incidentally, turns out there are 2 other SLPs in the peds department! But they do more stuff like outpatient therapy stuff.
Anyway, I dont' have a lot to update. I'm still given a list of patients in the morning, we talk about some of the ones I haven't seen for about all of 2 minutes, and then I'm off.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home